Removal of Pigmented Lesions of the Face
How does the laser work?
A laser generates an intense beam of light that can selectively target a treatment site. The VariLite Laser we use in our office is absorbed by oxyhemoglobin (bright red blood cells carrying oxygen) and Melanin (black or brown pigment found in the skin) causing destruction by heat of unwanted cells while leaving healthy cells intact.
What are the benefits of laser surgery?
The benefits of laser treatment over alterntive therapies may include improved therapeutic results precisely controlled surgery which limits injury to abnormal skin, fewer complications and a safe and effective outpatient, same day surgery for vascular and pigmented lesions.
What conditions are treated with the Varilite laser?
- Facial Telangiectasia-surface veins caused by dilation of capillary vessels or arterioles
- Cherry and Spider angiomas-Slightly raised flat lesion or slightly raised spider-like red lesions
- Rosacea-red facial lesions around the nose and cheeks causing a sunburn look.
- Lentigines-flat, brown spots on the skin: present on skin with frequent sun exposure.
- Freckles-brown spots on the skin; common on people with fair skin
- Dermattosis Papulosis Nigra- small black raised lesions seen primarily on people of Asian or of African descent.
What should a patient expect during treatment?
Treatment may vary depending upon patient characteristics and the area being treated. Treatment sessions typically take 10-20 minutes. Patients are to remove make-up prior and to avoid tanning prior to scheduling a treatment. A cooling gel or topical anesthetic may be used depending on the size of the lesion or area treated.
What should a patient expect after treatment?
Some redness may occur in the treatment area immediately following treatment; however, it should subside within several hours. Some swelling may also be experienced and will go away in 1-3 days. Post-operative care is minimal. Dr. Keen may ask you to use to use anti-bacterial ointments on the treated area for a short period of time and will suggest that you stay out of the sun during the healing process.Final treatment results should be evident 10-14 days after treatment for vascular lesions and within 2-3 weeks after treatment for pigmented lesions. In the meantime, normal activities can be resumed with only a slight redness evident at the treatment areas.